Friday, June 18, 2010

NO OFFICIAL REGISTRATION, NO ACCOMODATION, NO CLAIMS

The Russia Journal
What do you think of Moscow's immigrant workers?
Mon, 2001-11-05
Issue Number: 368
Elena Berezueva
2001-11-06


Michael Dobrushin, pensioner
I sympathize with immigrants, they are looking for the way out. The principle cause of this social phenomenon is a personal disaster. I doubt that anyone would leave his motherland, if he were happy. For some of them Moscow is a final destination, for others it is a transitory shelter. In the cases of immigration that I am aware of, the people are from Central Asia and Moldova. All of them work on construction sites. I doubt that this kind of job could be well-paid. But compared to their incomes at home it is something. I can only guess at what difficulties they undergo: lack of accommodation and poor treatment to name a couple. Some of them fall victims of illegal manufacture of substitute vodka. Immigrants are a real find for these procedures— they have no official registration, no accommodation, no claims. Many new-fangled businessmen take them as a cheap labor force. I have seen cases like this on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment